Las Rambles
In addition to churros, another Spanish pasttime sems to be either chasing, feeding or simply staring at pigeons. We saw large crowds of people doing this--Sara and I actually sat for quite a while watching. I think our favourite was the kid who seemed to be chasing them in slow motion--never came close to catching any but kept on trying anyways.
The square with all the pigeons is at the top of Las Rambles -- a street that runs from one of the central areas of Barcelona down to the port. It's one of the most popular areas for tourists, and many of the backpacker type hotels and hostels are right close by.
We spent much of the day doing a walking tour of this area. The market that we had gone to earlier was on the tour, so we went in to explore sections we hadn't seen yet. I liked the seafood section, but eventually we couldn't ignore how slimy the floor was anymore and worked our way out.
Las Rambles has a section of people selling flowers and another of people selling pets (mainly birds and repltles)
Near las Rambles is also a square with the first thing that Gaudi ever designed for the city--a lightpost.
There are also lots of human statues on the street. Some of them were pretty impressive--I think this was my favourite though. It takes a while to find the person in this sculpture (his head is behind one of the wheels)--I was impressed that he was able to work his way inside!
At the port is a statue of Columbus--it is supposed to be a statue of him pointing the way to the new world he discovered, but apparently he is pointing in the wrong direction. I thought I would help out those people that got lost because of it, but eventually my arm got tired....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home