Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Holot Mashabim


This week I took a quick trip out to Holot Mashabim (where I collected my seeds from) to check the developmental stage of the plants there. There I found both some good news (my greenhouse plants weren't all that much ahead developmentally than the field plants, as I had suspected they were) and some cool things to look at. Good news and interesting organisms is always a good field day, in my opinion.

So, pictures of a few things we found:
A Negev Iris

Some big ants. I don't know what kind they were, but there long trails of them working their way through the sand

.




And Arum. This plant either eats insects or is parasitic. I've been told both. I tried to look in the flora today, so I could tell you the truth, but I'll have to wait until I can both read and understand Hebrew to be able to tell you.

I just thought to look on the internet....and can't tell you the answer to that question, but can tell you that it's in the same genus as the plant that is "one of the world's largest and most malodorous flowers". Look at all the great things you can learn by reading my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home