Friday, March 18, 2005

Back to Jordan

I went to Jordan again this weekend with some of the other students from Sede Boqer. Yup, back to Jordan. I know I just went, but I had really wanted to see Wadi Rum, and on the last trip we just didn't have enough time. This is why I wanted to see Wadi Rum....it's amazing scenery everywhere.

The day we arrived in Wadi Rum by coincidence we arrived on aday that there was a camel race. The camel race goes for something like 60 km, and we followed it for about the last 20. We waited with a lot of other jeeps and then followed the camels (and the many other jeeps) to the finish line in the town of wadi rum. One thing that was bizarre was that there was more jeeps than camels--at one point we counted 60 jeeps! Most of the locals came out for the race.

After the race everyone seemed to just congratulate the winner, and then head back home.



Some more scenery from Wadi Rum. We stayed in the desert here for 2 nights, in Bedouin-style tents. Everywhere you look, there are towering red sandstone cliffs, and red sand everywhere. We spent the day and a half we were there climbing a giant dune, doing local hikes around our camp, doing some jeep treks further out to explore more and also

going on a camel safari. We spent a couple hours on camels in the desert. A group of local Bedouin boys led the camels with us--they probably ranged in age from about 6 to 12 years old.




After Wadi Rum we were on our way to Petra (my second trip) for a day before heading back to Sede Boqer. A parting shot of Wadi Rum.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home